Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Day 6 - 11/14/08 Goodbye Nashville, Hello Atlanta

I'll do my best to remember how everything went down during this week, but I may be hazy and vague on most things, because I'm writing this on the (technically) 25th. So here is my best approximation of my last day in Nashville and my time in Atlanta.

Friday (day 6) I woke up around 9 to get showered and packed and all that so I would have time to do everything I wanted in Nashville, see Rock City on the outskirts (don't get a chance to use that word often) of Chattanooga, and get to Atlanta at a reasonable hour. I bid adieu to my wonderful hosts around 10:45 and cruised on over to the Parthenon (again). This time I got to see the inside. The lower floor is an art museum, of which there is a main room and the hallways surronding it. The main room housed possibly the worst photography exhibit of all time. It was a dozen or so photos of small, whispy clouds. They weren't awesome or out of the ordinary clouds. Just regular, actually below average, clouds. But the hallways had lots of impressionistic art and that was cool. Oh, and there was also a Katrina photo exhibit in the back room (that I forgot to mention earlier) which was basically a conglomerate of photos from newspapers of wet houses. 

The upper half was a replica of what the original would have looked like inside (with a few additions). There was a 40 something foot tall statue of Athena, with a 6'4" statue of an angel thing whose name I forget in her hand. I can't say the gold plating and bizarre makeup sat well with my viewing palette, but I'm also not from ancient Greece. Maybe that was the "in" thing. Overall, the Parthenon was really cool, and anyone passing through Nashville should check it out.

As I was leaving the Parthenon, a flock of geese decided they wanted to cross the road from the center patch of grass back to the river across the cul-de-sac. The funny thing was they all walked in single file, reminiscent of the Peabody ducks, only the geese weren't trained and there was no elevator at the end of a red carpet. 

I went from the Parthenon to the Grand Ole Opry. I didn't fancy a tour, but I did go in the gift shop and took a picture in front of the legendary country music hall. If you enjoy 40 dollar t shirts and 8 dollar pens, the Opry gift shop was built just for you. 

The Opry was my last stop in Nashville, and I left around 12:45 or so. Google told me it would take about 3 hours to get from Nashville to Rock City, meaning I would get there with just enough time to explore the 1.5 hour attraction before sunset. As fate would have it, the weather took a turn for the worse and grey skies quickly turned to black when Chattanooga was still an hour away. I hoped for the best, but instead it got misty and darker. In other words, I had to bypass Rock City (for now). I stopped at a random Wal Mart with an impressive outside view of a mountain to get some supplies (Mountain Dew, turkey, bread, beans, and pudding). 

I made it in to Atlanta around 7 pm, if my memory serves me correctly. I had a bit of trouble finding Oglethorpe, but I managed to get there with a few phone calls to Apple and some Googling. Just as a side note, my computer is telling me Oglethorpe is not a word, but Googling is. Anyway, I got unpacked in Apple's massive dorm (1 extra large bedroom, 1 pretty big common room, 1 full bath, and two sinks), and thus began my "downtime in Atlanta."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where's all the stuff about how much you miss girlfriend!?BoooNAY!

shaggy fett said...

its subtext. i miss girlfriend lots!