Sunday, November 30, 2008

Day 16 - 11/24/08 The Day of the Rain

After getting a fairly good night's sleep, despite the lack of a soft bed, I woke up around 9 am. I was surprised at how well I slept. If you recall my blog from the first day (the only other day I actually camped out) I couldn't ever actually get all the way asleep. But this night, the night of the 23rd, I slept pretty well. As I said, I woke up at 9, and was in fact so comfortable, I went right back to sleep, slumbering til 12.



This is where the shit storm begins.



I awaken at 12 to stormy weather. It's puring rain outside, I'm all of a sudden very cold, and I realize there's no way I'm getting to my cousin Marti's house on the other side of North Carolina by 10 pm. I decide to take a drive around the park to try and warm myself up and to try and wait out the rain (so I can pack up everything). I got warm, but the rain worsened. I hurried back to the site before it got any worse and started packing things.



Now, normally it takes me around 45-55 minutes to break everything down and pack it into the car all neat and orderly like. However, since it was raining and pissing me off and I was getting cold again, I was having some issues with the tent. I couldn't figure out a way to break it down without getting water inside the tent, so that happened. It normally takes me one try to roll the tent up and stuff it in its bag, but on this particular occasion, it took three tries. I think it's because it was raining and I was trying to hurry, therefore not doing a great job.



It's a bit ironic that I was trying to hurry, and for that reason it actually ended up taking me longer than usual.



As I got more wet and more angry, my organizational skills got less and less. I ended up just tossing everything into my car so I could get the hell away from that place. The sooner the better. Whenever I pack my car on a normal occasion, I can see out my rear windshield (because it's safer that way). But since I had just tossed everything into my car, I couldn't see out of my rear windshield. And since I was wet and pissed off, and wanted to get out of there as soon as possible, I ended up going 60 mph in a 45 zone. On my way out, I passed a Park Ranger going the other direction. I didn't think anything of it, since he was going in the other direction.



A few minutes later, I heard the *woop woop* of the siren and saw some flashing lights. "God damn it," I thought. "Just my luck. Let's rain on Alex, let's piss Alex off, let's make it hard for him to leave, let's pull him over. This is bullshit."

No comments: