Thursday, July 2, 2009

Damn the Travel gods! 07/02/09

THE ROAD! I can finally get on the road! 12 days late and a few hundred dollars down, I am finally leaving on the NEW adventures of Belvedere. My camper is all built, all the lights are working, it hasn't fallen apart or randomly exploded (yet...knock on wood), and I've got everything all cleaned up and packed.

For those of you who aren't acquainted with my camper (which I have decided to call Tipperton), it is a homebuilt teardrop camper. I have air conditioning in it that plugs into a wall outlet, and also a top of the line RV vent/fan to keep the air fresh. It looks tiny (because it is), but it's big enough to be a bed on wheels which is about all I needed it to be. It took me about 6 weeks to build and about 800 dollars. Once I figure out how to post pictures on this thing, I will show you all the finished product.

I must have done something to make the travel gods angry because I am 12 days behind schedule already. I was supposed to leave June 20th, right after orientation, but construction delays on my camper prevented me from leaving. That is, until today.

First stop planned right now is called Millwood State Park in Arkansas. There's not really much to do there outside of your average hiking trail and some fishing, it's more of a waypoint towards bigger and badder places. For instance, tomorrow (the 3rd) I will be going to the Crater of Diamonds in Arkansas to try my luck at finding my very own diamond in the rough. Apparently an average of 2 diamonds A DAY are found there. Of course, almost all of them are too small to even cut, but hey, it' still a diamond.

After that I'll probably go pay a visit to ol' Bill Clinton's museum/library thing they have going on in Little Rock followed by a nice stay in Buffalo National Park to kayak down the Buffalo River which apparently has some crazy awesome limestone bluffs all over the place.

So that's the plan for the next few days, I'll chime in and let you know how it's all going! Let the odyssey begin!

No comments: