Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Solo castlebuilding 101: build next to lots of rocks 07/17

My gamble paid off. I woke up at 7:00 am and was out of the park by 7:15, with no ranger in sight. I looked at both of my travel books to see if there was anything to see in Ohio close to my route and the only thing that struck my fancy was the Rock Castle. I showered at a truck stop and started heading towards the castle.

Chateau Le Roche, as it’s formally called, was impressive. More so than any normal castle because 99% of it was done by one man over the course of almost 60 years. This guy started building the castle in 1930 and kept going until he died in 1989. It has 20 rooms, a big garden, a dungeon, and even a princess tower. There were lots of medieval memorabilia like suits of armor, swords, and period furniture. Pretty cool place to see if you ever get the chance.

After the castle, I kept on my way to Mt. Rushmore. I passed through the rest of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois before bunking down just on the other side of the Iowa border, right next to the Mississippi.

No comments: