Sunday, July 5, 2009

Too many people, not enough brain cells 07/04

After sleeping wonderfully in the hotel parking lot, I went to the Clinton Presidential Library. My earlier assumption I made last Thanksgiving that American holidays bring out the non-white crown held up. I think I was one of the 15 white people in the entire 150,000 square foot facility that wasn't working there, and this place was packed. So packed, in fact, that I left rather quickly. I was only there for about an hour or so, because I couldn't even read all the plaques and information they had because of all the people constantly milling about and getting in the way.

On the bittersweet side of things, they did have a few space related items in the building (don't know what the space program has to do with Clinton, but who cares?). The highlight of the Library was a) getting in for free because it was the 4th, and b) riding the Multi Axis Trainer for free. The MAT is that thing with all the rings that spins you around ridiculously.

I felt rather embarrassed because I was one of 2 people in line over the age of 12, and the other one was a mom doing it to show her kid it was safe so he could do it. Everyone else had family or friends taking video of them rotating in circles, and I was lacking in that department. I made a quick excuse that my friends abandoned me and went to the gift shop while I did the MAT to try and ease some of the weird looks I was getting.

On the upside, the MAT was a freakin blast, and I didn't give a hoot or a holler that I was the only one who hooted and hollered while on it. All the little kids were surprisingly quiet when they had their turn, just showing some mild amusement with a smirk on their face. I sort of giggled a bit and made a lame joke about being glad I didn't have any change in my pocket when I rode.

Anyway, after that it was off to the Buffalo River to do some kayaking. I rented my 45 dollar (expensive, I know) kayak and was brought down to the river about 2 pm. They lady behind the counter who I rented the canoe from said it would take about 4 hours to complete the 6 mile trip I paid for. Not really thinking about it or seeing how the math didn't add up at all, I got all excited. A short hour and 15 minutes later (I'll save you the trouble: 5 mph), I was done.

It was disappointing to say the least that I spent so much money for so little time on the river. I realized my folly afterwards when I was told the original time frame I was given included stopping, swimming, fishing, picnicking, and other activities I did not partake in. However, the bus driver on the way back invited me back to his house to see a fireworks display. He said the whole town came out to watch. So I said I'd be there.

What this fellow (whose name is William Blake) failed to mention was that the town has a population of 33. Now, some people who were there had to be from out of town, because there were about 50 people there. Anyway, everyone there was very "small town" oriented. Non conversational with outsiders, kept giving me strange looks (because I wasn't a redneck mountain person and didn't have deer horns tattooed on my bicep), and kept to their own kind. I tried striking up conversations with a few people, but I kept on getting one word answers, more funny looks, or I was basically ignored.

William had been so nice and friendly when he invited me, I thought that's the way everyone would be. Apparently I was mistaken, and paid for it by feeling awkward for and hour and a half. However, the people of Gilbert, AR sure do know how to put on a fireworks display. They must have had about 2 grand worth of fireworks. They were brilliant and pretty, even though I caught a couple of them a little to close for comfort. "Allegedly" one of the fireworks malfunctioned and big explosions just started emanating from the tube it was in instead of flying high to explode. No damage was done except for a bit of white vision from the bright lights for a few moments after.

I left Gilbert and am now (well, not NOW NOW as of you reading this, but now as in I'm currently typing) stopped in some random town's Days Inn parking lot. I stopped here to determine where to go next, and will be headed up to St. Louis, MO to see the Gateway Arch before heading on over to Chicago the next day. Goodnight!

No comments: