Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Uphill both ways to recharge for movie day 07/15

I woke up with the intention of going to Advanced Auto Parts down the road from where I was, but when I went to start my car, nothing happened. No noises like the car might even be trying to start. I then noticed both my odometer and clock were off. I concluded my battery must be just completely dead. I hooked up my dinky battery charger for about 30 minutes to see if it would charge it enough just so I could start it and go get a new battery somewhere. It couldn’t. No one else was around to give me a jump, so I walked about a half a mile to a Wal-Mart, got a new battery, and carted it back to my car.

It took me a bit longer to install the battery than it should have because one of the things that holds my battery in place was being stubborn and wouldn’t go back on after I put the new battery in. It took me about 20 minutes from unhooking the first battery to finish installing the second one. I got in my car, and my clock and odometer was back on. I took this as a good sign, cranked her up, and vroom, she started! Since then I haven’t had any battery issues (I’m writing this on the 24th).

My original plan for the day was to go see Fallingwater, one of the most architecturally beautiful and significant houses in America, early in the day and then get in a good deal of driving. However, by the end of my battery ordeal it was already 130. I called Fallingwater to see if they had any tours left for the day, but was told that they are closed to the public on Wednesdays. I was aggravated to be sure, since there wasn’t anything else to do around where I was. I decided to stick around for a day and made an appointment for the next day at 12:30.

Seeing as how there wasn’t anything else to do around where I was, I had to expand my search. I decided that this would be a perfect opportunity to go see some movies. I drove for 45 minutes to a theater in the suburbs of Pittsburg and saw Ice Age, My Sister’s Keeper, Harry Potter, and I Love You Beth Cooper. I chose the most perfect theater possible for sneaking from movie to movie. The theaters all branched off of a central U shape, with the lobby at the top of the U. That means in order to get to a theater on the other side of the complex, I didn’t have to blatantly cruise through the middle where everyone was, I could just walk around behind the lobby. It was fantastic.

Ice Age, Harry Potter, and Beth Cooper were all great movies. My Sister’s Keeper was fairly mediocre. On the whole, it was a great choice of movies, and a great way to spend my day. It never ceases to amaze me how much I love spending all day at the movies.

Anyway, by the end of Beth Cooper it was 12:30 am, so I found a parking lot to crash, and did so.

No comments: